Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Creative Writing Q&A

Part 1: Why in childhood?

In childhood, many people probably believe we have the most creativity. I believe this is true because most of what we are exposed to are stories. With stories, we are given a base to which we can create our idea's. I believe stories also help kids learn proper scentence structure and choice of words.

Part 2: Why later in life?

As a high school student I believe we read to capture our imagination and retrieve the creativity we lost when we arn't reading for classes. I believe older people also read to understand the idea's and the morals portrayed by an author. Besides that people may just read for recreation, providing a relaxing period of downtime and learning.

Part 3: Why in our nation?

As students, we have classes dedicated to just simply reading and reflecting on the text read. We have so many famous authors and movies based on text that there is no way we couldn't be a lit. based society. Another thing literature is used for is to describe events that could have happened or write historical happenings. America is a fairly young nation and has taken part in many historical events, we have every reason to write about those events. Although this ties into the previous scentence, we also write stories to speculate and get people thinking "what if it were this way?".

Part 4: Your stories

I can't remember many stories from my childhood but I do remember the chronicals of Narnia. Every night my dad would read the chronicals of Narnia aloud and I listened with deep intent. Besides the CoN, I also remember the Warrior's series by Erin Hunter. Those were books I would read within days they were so well written.

Part 5: Characteristics of a well-told story

Every book needs a list of characteristics to truly be considered a good book. One characteristic is the making of a good main character. Everyone wants to be able to see through a characters eyes and this is extremely important when developing a main character. Good books also need a good protagonist. A protagonist doesn't exactly need to be a villan but someone who always seems to throw a different twist at the characters. A good book also needs a decent environment to be developed through. A detailed environment helps the readers to picture the scene more helpfully.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

WAY TO TANK!!!!

a_random_guy said...

I think out of everything in this post, I most agree with the comment about high school students recovering the "imagination they lost." I think that unless students (and indeed, adults) continue to read and expand their horizons as life goes on, they will eventually lose the imagination that helps to make them unique. Personally, talking to a person without an imagination is a really frustrating experience for me, so I'm glad to see you share my thoughts on this.