Monday, February 25, 2008

Creative Writing Q & A

1. I thought the play write was an intresting experience. I always found myself adding more and more to the story and it was hard to give closure to something that I wanted to develop further. The only thing I didn't like about the form was the fact that I couldn't decribe thoughts rather they would have to be inclueded through the dialogue. I found that my play would make a better movie then a play just because there is relatively little drama and it could easily be classified as a sci-fi.

2. If I could give a bit of advice to a ten year old I would tell them to never lose their motivation. If they played any sort of sport I would encourage a good work ethic and a deep liking for their sport. If they want to be one of the best, they need to act like one of the best. Also I would tell them it is never to late to take on a good work ethic. I would also encourage them to lay off the electronics like video games and really focus on something like being better at their sport. Usually if you do well in something athletic, it can easily replace your thoughts. Finally I would tell him/her to be optomistic. It is certain that a high level of optomism and confidence will affect any preformance positively.

3. I believe any work of literature can survive the times if it leaves us with a better understanding or greater intellect. I believe this can directly relate to music. Artists like AcDc can survive the times because their music has a great amount of individuality where some of the current era rock artists arn't as influential due to their maybe simplistic style. I think this can be easily applyed to books. Authors who convey a central hidden and layered message will be credited more then those who don't. These books are also the ones that will more likely then not be made into a movie at one point or another.

2 comments:

Mr. Miles said...

"I would also encourage them to lay off the electronics like video games and really focus on something like being better at their sport."

I think it could be easy to work away one's youth on sports and such, but I do agree that in the grand scheme of things, you're going to enjoy something like a sport SO much more and get much more out of it. I enjoy video games, but I rarely ever play them because I have other things to get accomplished. I always said that I wouldn't have a television in my living room when I have kids.

a_random_guy said...

Interesting insights-To me, the most interesting part of the post was the part where you compared the idea of music transcending eras being applied to books and vice versa. You also mentioned that you had trouble developing closure in your play. My advice regarding that is "Follow your instincts." If it feels like your going on too long, you probably are, so sit down and just think about what you want to communicate. More then anything, remember to have fun with it. If you don't enjoy writing the story, the finished product is going to reflect that-you seemed allright on that count though.